Monday, January 30, 2006

Love enough

*** to be continued ***

I am going to address the harder of the two questions first: how do you know if you love someone enough to marry them? And because answers to this continue to occur to me, I will probably update the list with periodic posts.

Kelley, how do I know if I love you enough to marry you?
I don't think there is one answer but an accumulation of clues.
When something great or awful or sad or scary happens to me, you are the first person I think to call. And I do, frequently.
I find it charming when you walk around the apartment in just your slippers.
You are the only person who can talk me out of a funk.
I have no trouble imagining us as old ladies laughing and bickering about things we always laugh and bicker about: for instance, the correct way to make a bed.
I really want you to beat me at games.
Holding your hand while we fall asleep feels complete.
When you talk about your ex-girlfriends I feel a tiny bit jealous but never threatened.
I slather mayonnaise on your sandwiches even though I think it's gross.
I take pride in your achievements and admire how you handle loss.
I stopped looking for better because you satisfy all the needs of a lover and a friend, but you do not expect to be my only friend.
When I was wallowing over the question -- do I love her enough to marry her -- I did not hesitate to tell you. I knew we could figure out the answer together.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home