Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Lady/gentleman

One of the best things about our ceremony is that we get to write it. I am finding the material and Kelley is acting as editor, complete with a red pen. This is one of the poems that she nixed but that I love anyway.

“My Lady Ain’t No Lady” by Pat Parker
my lady ain’t no lady
she doesn’t flow into a room –
she enters & her presence is felt.
she doesn’t sit small –
she takes all her space.
she doesn’t partake of meals –
she eats – replenishes herself.
my lady ain’t no lady –
she has been know
to speak in loud voice,
to pick her nose,
stumble on a sidewalk,
sweat at her cats,
swear at me,
scream obscenities at men,
paint rooms,
repair houses,
tote garbage,
play basketball,
& numerous other
un lady like things.
my lady is definitely no lady
which is fine with me,
cause I ain’t no gentleman.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home