Monday, January 02, 2006

Glass slippers

Never one to avoid asking the hard questions, I kept Kelley awake one recent evening chewing on these two: Isn't it weird for two women to get married? And, how do you know if you love someone enough to marry them?

The first was a throwback to a phone call with my mother. She chastised us for opening our Christmas presents early and for wearing our commitment bands now. At one point I think she asked how we could imagine raising a child in a household so steeped in instant gratification. Just to ice my cake, she also said our wedding is not real; it is just an excuse to have a party. If we were already wearing our rings, why should she even go. That sort of thing.

Always one to avoid conflict, I didn't defend myself in a very convincing manner. But after filling in Kelley on all the details, she called up my mom to tell her my feelings were hurt and to try and smooth things over. This also spiraled out of control; my mom insulted Kelley's family and they resolved nothing. I felt awful for Kelley getting bitched out when coming to my defense, but I was also proud of her for sticking up for me when I was shrinking. As she said later in her movie wisdom, "Nobody puts (my) Baby in a corner."

Anyway, that all worked itself out when my mom called crying on my voicemail, apologizing and asking if she could still live with us when she is old. The message didn't address any of our issues, but it was loving in our family's way and enough for now.

So, how did this prompt me to lose sleep over the "weirdness" of gay marriage? I think it just planted the seed of doubt. The seed that if not immediately talked out grows in to giant beanstalk proportions.

*** To be continued. ***

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home