Sunday, April 17, 2005

Getting married, going bald

Two things I've put off until I'm 30: getting married and shaving my head. I'm beginning to think they are linked.

Kelley and I met when I was 24 and she was 31. When things got serious, she floated some ideas on how I could demonstrate our commitment. Being loyal, but future-phobic, I gave the same answer to all of her suggestions (which included buy a house, adopt a baby, get a joint savings account and go into major debt together, but, come to think of it, she never suggested we get matching tattoos). "Let's wait until I'm 30." The age seemed a decent way off and a milestone at which I could make a grand gesture. It also gave me a few years to get used to the ideas and accept that I was, well, an adult and that adults do those sorts of things.

The hairstyle idea predates our relationship. Going bald was a dyke ritual I skipped over due to my lipstick persona. It was reinforced by vanity -- I have a large head, my grandfather's nose and a gobble-gobble -- just not a combination worth showcasing. But shaving my head made the list of things I should do before I die (alongside fall madly in love, which I've done a couple times to date), and again that "I'll do it when I'm 30" line rang in my head.

Obviously, I'm not a "sometime is now" sort of person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home