Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Family ties

My freshman year of college, I let myself into my dorm room in Mayflower Hall to find my roommate had removed all my posters of Tori Amos, Rage Against the Machine and Dykes on Bikes (hey, I was 19) and replaced them with nothing. Simply put, she was tired of my shit and my sexual escapades with girls who believed in fairies, boys who sold pot and bald-headed travelers, though I don't remember her being that concise.

An emotional eruption ensued, and soon I was having a teary-eyed conversation with my mother about my new address, my broken heart and the girl who broke it, who happened not to be my smallminded roommate, but a friend from my high school class.

My mother took the liberty of broadcasting the news to the rest of the family and gave my grandmother an ultimatum: deal with it or lose Kate. I wasn't cut out of the photo albums, and my boyfriends and girlfriends have always been welcomed with hugs and gifts at family gatherings. But my mating (and now nesting) habits are not something I bring up with the extended fam. Par example: Kelley and I vacation in Cape Cod, not Women's Week. My mother knows I danced on a box at a bra party, but the godparents just don't need those details. They have all marveled at my "engagement" ring, but it was a birthday present -- which it was, but whatever.

All of this leads to a question. Which family members do I include in our celebration? Do uber-Catholic and uber-special grandma and grandpa, married for 50+ years, get an invite? Do I wait until they are dead? Am I a total wuss? Erg.

Maybe the "kiss test" is the way to go. I will only invite people whom I feel OK about seeing me lay a sloppy one on my kq.

1 Comments:

At 2:33 PM, Blogger Tracey said...

Congratulations! It's an all-important step in a relationship!

(Linked here via Athenae at First Draft, got tired of all the political drib-drab)

IMHO, invite everybody and let God sort em out. All Weddings generate such goodwill that it's hard for even the most hardened heart not to crack open a little.

However, I'm a total stranger and I'm from Montreal, so I have no idea how your family might react. Maybe your first instinct is best, but I can't help but think that at least 'etiquette-wise' you'd be in the right for inviting them, and they'd be in the wrong for refusing to attend such a momentous occasion.

Where "etiquette-points" get you in the Giant Scheme of things? Don't know. But best of luck, and best wishes from Canada!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home