Wednesday, March 30, 2005

Why we do too, part two

Anyway, back to the quote/unquote lifestyle point. It isn't really accurate for me to say I chose to be with Kelley because heterosexual rituals scared me off. I chose to be with her because I love her, and, well, women turn me on. Me-ow.

Gavin Newsom went and mucked up my handy anti-wedding excuse when he married off all the gay couples in San Francisco last year. It was such an exciting historical moment, Kelley and I considered flying out to get in on the opportunity before it was yanked away by a conservative activist judge. I don't remember if it was circumstance or logic that kept us from jumping into a lifelong commitment for the Associated Press photo op.

It looked for a time like the Cook County clerk was going to allow Chicago couples to receive marriage licenses. He erred on the safe side and started a domestic partner registry instead. This appeared to be a steady step for Kelley and me as a couple. We were ready to come out to the county, as it were, and have them recognize us as a couple. (We were also ready, and are still waiting, for our workplaces, insurance companies, etc., to recognize us as well.)

The registration was something we did privately that marked progress and strength in our relationship, but did not pose the same quandries for me as a marriage or wedding. It was a step toward the aisle, but not down it.

I posted the column I wrote about the registration in my links under "Flashback to 2003." We were the 60th couple to register. Afterwards, we were so broke, we went dutch for a celebratory drink. How's that for an egalitarian, lesbo arrangement?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home