Monday, April 25, 2005

NASA, we have a gay wedding

Let the countdown begin: five days until I break the wedding news to my mom and dad.

I have a little speech in my head.

Kelley and I are planning a ceremony next summer to celebrate our relationship and commit our lives together. It will be in Massachusetts because the state recognizes gay marriages. The event will be small and simple, with just our closest friends. We'd like you to be there.

Words not in the speech include "wedding," "wedding reception" and "wedding dress." I'm conflicted on why I've left those out. Maybe they will come in the revision.

Now, I have to anticipate their follow-up questions and my answers.

Things like, "I wasn't planning on inviting grandma. We don't expect you to pay for anything. It will be a real wedding." Ah-ha! The wedding word comes up in the rebuttal.

Evidently I have some issues to work out. I need to be able to talk about this without wincing or feeling like I've let them down.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home