Sunday, August 06, 2006

Our vows

Kelley and I took different approaches to writing our wedding vows. She waited until the last hour and wrote a single draft on notebook paper. I printed out a rough draft on a tiny piece of paper and edited it several times by hand during our drive out to Cape Cod.

We also transported them down the aisle differently. I wrapped my vows around the base of my bouquet with a tissue. Kelley can't remember what she did with hers. She either had them in her pocket or had Mary Joan hold on to them until the time came to read them.

(An aside -- Kelley started to cry during the ceremony. I offered her my tissue, but she refused to take it from me. It was all wet and crumpled from my sweaty palms and the soaked stems of my flowers. She thought it was a used. Everyone laughed at that one.)

But some of our phrases and thoughts were remarkably the same. Read on.

My vows:
Kelley, what I love most about you is your capacity to love others. I admire the way you opened your heart and devoted your life to your grandmother, and I believe there is a reason I came into your life shortly after her death. I showed up to ensure your heart did not close. You took a risk opening yourself to me when you weren't yet healed. In return, I make this vow to you: I promise to love you with the completeness you loved Helen until we, too, are old, old women.
Kelley, I don't remember the first day we met, but I do remember the first time I was sad to see you go. It was the morning after our first date. As you were leaving my apartment, I said, "When can we do this again?" To my delight, the answer turned out to be every day for the next six years. Today I promise to build a relationship with you known for its longevity and spontaneity. I promise you a one-night stand with a lifetime guarantee.
Kelley, I see a lifetime ahead of us. I want to travel the world with you and create adventures in our own backyard. I want us to help each other accomplish goals we thought were not possible. I want to write about you and for you and with you. I want to make you a better you. So, today, I renew a promise that I've already made to myself to you. Each day, when I wake up, I promise to think of something I can do to make you happy or bring you comfort or deepen our understanding of one another. Love is work. Marriage is participation. And I promise to be your life partner.

Kelley's vows:
I don't remember the first time we met. But I do remember the first time I knew I loved you -- it was here in this beautiful seaside town. Your beauty, sense of humor, passion for writing and love of life that captured my heart.
And I remember that as we drove home that I wanted to be with you forever. I wanted to commit my life to you, but you said you wouldn't get married until you were at least 30. But here we are and tomorrow you turn 30, so I guess I got you to cave a day early. Lucky me.
You asked me the other day what I thought the best part of being married would be. I said the jewelry. But really, the best part will be taking care of you every day for the rest of our lives, until we're little old ladies riding around in motorized scooters together.
Kati, you bring joy, happiness and passion to my life. You challenge me to be a better person every day, and I love you for that.
We have so much to look forward to. The next chapter of this wonderful story is ready to begin, and I can't wait to see what happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home